The Norwegian Refugee Council has been co-chairing the HLP AoR since September 2015 and is now looking for a dedicated HLP Coordinator to strengthen the work of the AoR at global level, support the work of HLP sub-clusters/working groups at field level and work across clusters and sectors on HLP.
The Global Protection Cluster (GPC) was established in 2005 as a result of the Humanitarian Response Review and is led by UNHCR. To improve the predictability, speed and effectiveness of the protection response in emergencies the GPC developed a Framework for UN Managerial Responsibility and Accountability for the Protection of Internally Displaced Persons and Affected Populations in Complex Emergencies which was presented and endorsed by the IASC Principals in 2005. The Framework defined the different Areas of Responsibility (AoR) within the Protection sector, including Housing, Land and Property (HLP), and identified focal point agencies to assume responsibility and accountability for each AoR.
The HLP AoR aims to facilitate a more predictable, accountable and effective response by coordinating and providing global level inter-agency policy advice and guidance on HLP concerns that arise in humanitarian action, complex emergencies and natural disasters. Its overall objective is to facilitate a more systematic approach to addressing HLP issues on the ground by promoting collaboration and complementarity of efforts among amongst agencies undertaking HLP activities and by addressing gaps in policy and technical areas.
- Support the implementation of the HLP AoR 2016-2018 workplan
- Provide technical support to country level HLP sub-clusters, working groups and other coordination mechanisms, as well as respond to field requests
- Provide technical support to other clusters/sectors, in particular Shelter, Camp Coordination and Camp Management, Food Security, and Early Recovery in better understanding and integrating HLP considerations into their work
- Draft HLP AoR advocacy strategies, position statements and papers on global issues as required, including but not limited to, the need to strengthen the overall HLP response capacity
- Organise regular HLP AoR meetings, briefings, thematic roundtables and other HLP related events at global level as well as regional and/or country level if required
- Provide training for humanitarian actors and other relevant stakeholders on HLP upon request
- Provide regular HLP updates and information to the Global Protection Cluster as well as to other relevant stakeholders
- Ensure that the HLP AoR website is regularly updated with the latest tools, guidance and information from HLP partners
- Support any other task identified as a priority by the members of the HLP AoR