- ECOSOC - Integration Segment - Sustainable Urbanization 27 - 29 May 2014
The first-ever Integration Segment of the Economic and Social Council will focus on "sustainable urbanization". The Segment will demonstrate how urbanization can be an effective tool for the integration of economic, social and environmental dimensions of sustainable development.
Attending the three-day event will be high-level representatives of Member States, including Heads of Government, ministers and mayors, the United Nations system and civil society actors, including the private sector.
The Chair is H.E. Mr. Vladimir Drobnjak, Vice-President of ECOSOC, Ambassador and Permanent Representative of Croatia to the United Nations and is being organized by the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA) in collaboration with UN-Habitat and the Office of the Special Adviser on Africa (OSAA), and with support of the United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG).
Kindly visit the links below for the program and side events:
- IFAD Post-2015 Policy Briefs:
Below are Policy briefs from IFAD on the post-2015 development agenda for your reading.
- Policy brief 1: Leveraging the rural-urban nexus for development [Arabic | English | French | Spanish]
- Policy brief 2: An empowerment agenda for rural livelihoods [Arabic | English | French | Spanish]
- Policy brief 3: Investing in smallholder family agriculture for global food security and nutrition [Arabic | English | French | Spanish]
- Policy brief 4: Promoting the resilience of poor rural households [Arabic | English | French | Spanish]
- 2014 Annual Ministerial Review (AMR)
The 2014 Annual Ministerial Review (AMR) will be convened as part of the ECOSOC High-level Segment in July, at United Nations Headquarters in New York. The theme of the 2014 AMR is "Addressing on-going and emerging challenges for meeting the Millennium Development Goals in 2015 and for sustaining development gains in the future".
The 2014 AMR will take place in the overall substantive context of the final push to accelerate progress to achieve the Millennium Development Goals by the 2015 deadline, the continued follow-up to Rio+20 and the discussions and process for elaborating the post-2015 United Nations development agenda.
The 2014 AMR will provide an opportunity for ECOSOC to:
- take stock of progress as well as obstacles in the context of the final year of implementation towards achievement of the Millennium Development Goals;
- offer policy recommendations for accelerating progress with a view to addressing and overcoming ongoing and emerging challenges; and
- define a path that sustains development gains into the future.
Ten countries - Bolivia, Gambia, Georgia, Kuwait, Mexico, Qatar, Sudan, Thailand, United Kingdom, and the State of Palestine - have volunteered to give National Voluntary Presentations (NVPs) during the 2014 AMR session.
The 2014 AMR will also benefit from the deliberations of the first ministerial meeting of the High-level Political Forum (HLPF) under the auspices of ECOSOC, which will take place during the ECOSOC High-level Segment.
The 2014 ECOSOC High-level Segment will result in a Ministerial Declaration which will be available on the ECOSOC website upon its adoption.
The Meeting takes place on 7 - 11 July. Click here for more information.